The Ways to Prepare for a Home Fire
- Install the right number of smoke alarms. There should be at least one per floor and one outside each sleeping area. Test them once a month and replace the batteries at least once per year.
- Teach children what a smoke alarm sounds like and what to do when they hear one.
- Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from every room in your house and know the family meeting area spot outside of your home.
- Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find each other.
- Practice escaping from your home at least twice per year. Press the smoke alarm test button and yell “Fire” to alert everyone that they must get out.
- Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
- Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes catch on fire.