Message from the Chief
Welcome to the Sanford Police Department (SPD) webpage. It is my honor to serve as the Chief of Police within the community of Sanford and to lead the men and women of this Department.
The foundation of the Sanford Police Department are based on three guiding principles (1) Integrity: In how we perform our duties (2) Dedication: To our community and providing quality services and (3) Pride: In our City, the Communities within and our Department.
Through the years, the Sanford Police Department has developed into a multi-faceted law enforcement team providing comprehensive services to the City of Sanford through the Operations and Support Services Divisions. That team approach has created partnerships between local churches, community groups, and businesses, as well as other local, state and federal agencies.
As we face tough economic times, the need for a strong, viable partnership between the SPD and our community is more important than ever. We recognize that a safe City with a high quality of life can only be achieved through a strong and active partnership between the police officers and the members of the community. We welcome your ideas, time, and talents in helping us advance such partnerships.
Currently the City of Sanford Police Department has 130 sworn officers and 17 civilian employees.
The Sanford Police Department has many specialized units to better serve the citizens within our community. The units include: Traffic, K-9, Investigations, School Resource Officers, Crime Prevention and Community Policing Officers. Please utilize the City website to stay informed. Let me know how we can make it a better source of information flow between SPD and the community we serve. If we can be of service to you please contact us at 407-688-5070.
Thank you for your interest in the Sanford Police Department we appreciate your support.
Cecil E. Smith
Chief of Police
——————————————Stay Connected with Social Media ——————————————
The Sanford Police Department was accredited through the Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation during September 2021.
Accreditation has long been recognized as a means of maintaining the highest standards of professionalism. Accreditation is the certification by an independent reviewing authority that an entity has met specific requirements and prescribed standards. Schools, universities, and hospitals are some of the most well known organizations that are required to maintain accreditation. Since 1993 law enforcement agencies in Florida have attained accredited status through the Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation, Inc. To maintain accreditation the Sanford Police Department is required to comply with over 250 professional standards.
What are the most significant benefits of accreditation for the citizens of Sanford?
- It increases the law enforcement agency’s ability to prevent and control crime through more effective and efficient delivery of law enforcement services to the community it serves.
- It enhances community understanding of the law enforcement agency and its role in the community as well as its goals and objectives.
- Citizen confidence in the policies and practices of the agency is increased.
What are the most significant benefits of accreditation to the employees of the Sanford Police Department?
- The morale of the agency is enhanced by increasing the employees’ confidence in the effectiveness and efficiency of their own agency. Operations become more streamlined and consistent.
- Accreditation policies address officer safety issues and provide for adequate training and equipment of the officers.
- Accreditation is a coveted award that symbolizes professionalism, excellence, and competence.
The Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation requires that each agency receive an onsite assessment every three years.